Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Sad Commentary" Rant 3-28-11

Tonights writing is more a personal sad commentary than a rant.

In yesterday's rant I chastized the Maryland legislature for their psychedelic drug-induced plan to release prisoners, but it also brought a personal situation to the forefront of my thoughts.

As many who know me are aware, in 1983 my family suffered a life altering tragedy when my sister Patty was assualted, and murdered in Battle Creek, Michigan. I know that some of you have experienced a similar tragedy in your life. I don't say this for sympathy, but to drive home the point that our legislators have lost touch with us. I will explain my reasoning.

When my sister was killed it not only took months to find her, but 2 years to bring her killer to justice. When this pimple on a slugs butt was convicted and given "life without parole" (don't even believe it!) we felt a sense of relief, but then reality hit my family like an ice cold towel!

The next 25 years became a constant legal dance with almost constant appeals and motions to which we responded each and every time. When the Michigan Supreme Court finally upheld this walking bacteria's conviction, we finally felt it was over, I don't know why I was suprised when a new tactic was introduced.

The Michigan Innocence Project took up the cause after 20 years, and started a push that lasted for almost 5 years to have this hog's toe jam sentence commuted. Their tactics ranged from him being innocent, to police and prosecutorial misconduct. Again, with each motion our family received countless requests for letters and interviews.

Finally in 2010 after another parole board hearing, and a request for commutation sent to spineless, unpopular, and outgoing Governor Jennifer Granholm this human example of mold was granted parole. They still never proved he didn't do it, but convinced the wimpy Governor of Michigan that he had served enough time. To this I ask, "does my sister now come back to life?"

Yesterday I received notification that this mold on the underside of a rock will be released on parole in April. There are many insults associated with this, but one of the most ironic is that this scums pre-release evaluation was conducted in the town where we still have family!

I guess my point is this. Why do we continue to coddle these spawns of toxic waste at the expense of good people? Why do we continue to allow our legislators to let these creeps out of jail faster than we can put them in? Most of all why do we allow our Governors the power to not only overide the decision of a jury, but the State Supreme Court as well!

My family has 28 days to file an appeal in this case, but after 25 years I don't know if I have the energy. I hope a hard lesson is not learned here, when this by-product of a rat eating feces, kills again.



Where Patty's memory is concerned, I'M NEVER DONE

2 comments:

  1. Mike, all you can do is let Patty live on through you, through your family and through your children. Remember, God's love is perfect . . . and so is His justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me sad for all of your family every time I read about this. I was appalled when I read that Governor Granholm had commuted the sentence, but I have to agree with what Steve said, Gods' love and justice are perfect.

    ReplyDelete