Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Drive Through Lane Rant 3-01-11

If you have any doubt that we have turned into a "Jabba The Hud" society, just check out any drive-through lane of any commercial venture, from fast food, to banking, to pharmacy's. I won't even mention car washes and some liquor stores.

Let me start with one example. As is my custom (I've mentioned this in previous rants) I stopped this morning at my local DD for my usual XL decaf on my way to work. I usually utilize the drive-through lane.

This morning was a little different. I don't know if it was because I was running late or all my neutrons were firing, but after about 5 minutes I noticed the line had not moved. There were at least 7 cars in front of me and another 7 in back of me. I had never seen the line this long, I was stupified! (not always difficult for me) Since I was in a hurry and had not yet reached that part of the drive-through where I was blocked by the "cattle chute", I decided to park and go in.

When I walked in I was AMAZED! I had reached the nirvana of customer service. The girl behind the counter was standing there looking out the window, not a soul in line. She looked at me like she was a puppy and I had a treat. I was literally in and out in less than a minute.

You had to see the expression on the faces of the people in the drive-through lane as I came out, (the line had still not moved) one woman was looking longfully at my coffee with the saddest brown eyes. She started looking around for an escape, but alas, she was in the "cattle chute". Poor woman, I felt so bad; while taking a sip of my coffee. One gentlemen in a van almost dropped his cigarette, and he too could not escape...

I decided to observe various drive-through's throughout the day. To my surprise every drive through I visited had the same result, long outside lines with no one waiting inside. I went to the bank, and to lunch, and got in and out in record time.

I am amused by our "car ass" mentality that makes us so lazy we gain weight as we shop! Look around, look at the wonders we miss, and the time we could save by getting our massive butts out of the car. We wonder why our kids never leave the house, when's the last time you made them play outside?

I've come to the realization that the innovations we've invented to save us time have now slowed us down, and have caused us to burn fuel as well, which we can ill afford.

Think about it while you are stuffing down a cream donut and slurping your double latte with chocolate chips and whip. Are you one of the "JABBA'S", is your butt stuck in your car seat?

I'm Done!

3 comments:

  1. I have a feeling you are going to be walking into the coffee shop, bank, fast food restaurant a bit more often now. Maybe just to save time but also to interact with people. I've never been one to use the drive through of anything. Like you, I hate that well-named "cattle chute" you mentioned. I also feel more in control when I'm one-on-one with the person behind the counter. In other words, I want to SLOW DOWN and smell the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, You know I'm always in a rush :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean those are actually lines to get service, I thought those were vehicle inspection lanes to see if your brakes were working. Good one Mike.
    Sometimes it's good to stop rushing life and start living life, it's never too late. I am glad you are among the living.

    ReplyDelete