Friday, April 1, 2011

"RULES" Rant 4-01-11

April Fool's Day. Since I've not been feeling well this week maybe I'll just stay in bed. Yea right, I can't stay in bed when I need to be.  Oh well, enough of this, on with the show!

I will probably get a lot of good natured (I hope) disagreement on today's rant, but we'll see.

What a hypocritical species we have become, we want to have"rules", we just don't want to obey them! They say that our adherence to "rules" and our ability to organize our lives is what seperates us from the animals..Well, from what I observe we are heading towards becoming part of the food chain again.

Let's give this some thought. Let's use the once venerable liberal organization like the ACLU. This organization fought many good causes for the down trodden and unjustly treated over the years, but lately it appears their fights involve every petty rule that adults and children want to stomp their feet about. Examples include, children with long hair at schools where long hair is against the "rules", (I had my hair "baretted" by a nun in 7th grade) female students that wear inappropriate clothing, Prisoners wanting chocolate chip cookies, obese gluttons who want to blame the fast food industry for everything they stuff in their mouth, but my favorites are all the religious reasons there are for not following "rules".

Some examples; Orthodox jews not wanting to shave their beards to accomodate life saving equipment REQUIRED when you are a volunteer firefighter! (Since I work in an industry that must have employees "fit tested" for respirators I know how problematic a beard can be) Muslim women refusing to remove face and head coverings when arrested. (why is this an issue?) Muslims not being granted prayer time in the midlle of the day at work. (6 times!!) These are just a few. Here is a thought, DON'T TAKE THE JOB!

I find it amazing that in all these instances the people involved knew the "rules", and then became sanctimonious when they had to follow them. In school all the children AND parents usually sign a "Code of Conduct" document outlining the "rules", most companies also spell out the expectations in their interview and orientation process, especially safety equipment requirements. (I know ours does) As far as religion in the workplace, it's no wonder our companies move to less expensive and less restrictive countries. YOU CAN'T ACCOMODATE EVERYONE! Work is work, you are there to do a job. If you give a muslim  6 prayer breaks a day, what do you do to make sure christians, jews, and other religions are treated equally! It also amazes me how many of these cases make to the national level. Shouldn't local matters regarding "rules" be handled by sitting down and having a..wait for it..CONVERSATION!

This selectively choosing of "rules" is prevelant every where! The nitwit that continues to talk on a handheld device in violation of the law, the unregistered dirtbike riding chimps that think the "rules" don't apply to them, the kids that disrespect their teachers, only to be reinforced by their "meathead" parents.There are many examples I could cite. This rant could be a thousand pages and I wouldn't cover it all.

It has become clear to me that "rules" are fine until they inconvenience us, or force us to discipline our own children! I am by no means targeting any specific group, person, or religion, I think we are all just as guilty.

Remember genuises, the "rules" are here to protect and guide us, if we don't like them we have the power to change them, not just ignore them..Oh yea, but that would mean actually getting involved. I get it.

 Let me ask a hypothetical question. What would you do if your child sneaked out of the house in the wee hours of the morning, took your car for a joy ride, and you weren't even aware they were gone until the police called you, after stopping the vehicle.....Thinking of a "rule" are you :)

Ok, time for me to run a yellow light! I'm such a wild man, you just can't stop me!



I'm Done !

No comments:

Post a Comment